A vegan friendly pancake recipe from Demuths Vegetarian Cookery School in Bath.
Demuths Vegetarian Cookery School, based in Bath, is where you can learn how to cook creative modern vegetable dishes. The Cookery School is run by one of the UK's leading vegetarian chefs, Rachel Demuth, who owned award winning Demuths Restaurant for 26 years. Here Rachel shares her favourite pancake recipe.
Makes 12 pancakes
200g plain white flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
75g plain vegan yoghurt
2 tbsp maple syrup
200ml soya milk
2 tbsps sunflower oil
1. Mix together the plain flour with the salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix together the plain yoghurt, maple syrup and soya milk and pour this into the flour, whisking well until you have a smooth thick batter.
2. To cook the pancakes, heat a drop of sunflower oil in a frying pan, swirl the oil around to cover the whole frying pan.
3. Drop 2 tablespoons of pancake batter into four places in the frying pan, and over a medium heat cook until the under side of the pancake is golden, and bubbles have appeared throughout. (about 30 seconds).
4. Loosen the pancakes by shaking the pan and then flick each pancake over and cook for a further 20 seconds.
5. Continue until you have finished the mix.
Tips: try replacing half the plain white flour with alternative flours. Our favourite is buckwheat flour, also wholemeal or spelt works well. For a crunchy crispier texture try rice flour or fine cornmeal.
Demuths Vegetarian Cookery School